this is not worth arguing about and I could be wrong
about Edg and his fear.
As for rhetorical language, it is true that it is not
easy to characterize the relationship between
conscious and subliminal aspects of the process of
writing.  "Prepared beforehand" does not mean
"calculating," nor does it imply any kind of
phoniness.
But, as I said, this is not worth arguing about.