I believe it was on this forum that I read where someone mentioned
that Maharishi was asked why he came out with the flying technique in
the manner that he did; a way that many, such as myself, would
consider irresponsible and that, more than any other reason, was the
cause of the quick and irreversible downfall of the TMO.

Maharishi's response, according to the poster?

"It couldn't be helped".

I've been thinking about that response for a while.  And I found that
it reminded me of Woody Allen's response as to why he took up with
Soon-Yi, the daughter of his former love, Mia Farrow (gee, she crops
up alot in TM Culture, doesn't she?).

Woody famously responded:

"The heart wants what the heart wants."

Perhaps Maharishi just couldn't help himself.  Up to about '77, he
had spend 20 years building up the credibility of TM, Meditation, and
his organisation to a point at which esoteric and new-age stuff had
never up to that point accomplished.  And then in the space of
several months, he lost it all.

I think he just couldn't help himself. He honestly, truly believed
that he had stumbled upon THE formula that rediscovered Patanjali's
sidhis and he just couldn't wait to tell the world.  So, he didn't
think it through and came out with it in a way that was IMHO totally
irresponsible and destructive.

I'm like that, too, with a piece of gossip that only I have and I
just HAVE to tell everybody.