I have a long-time (30 + years) friend who "channels"
a "being" and I have had occasion to observe them very
closely.  I use the plural pronoun to hide their sex
and to indicate the two of them, the human and the
channeled being, together.  They make a truly
excellent living at it because they are able to
convince large numbers of folks of the reality and the
truth of their healing power--which is real enough for
the people who benefit.  The placebo effect is
powerful and, in a sense, why not harness it in any
way we can?

I could be dead wrong, of course, and have been dead
wrong about countless things, but in my opinion what
is going on here is
1) embryonic witnessing misused or gone awry
2) very large (and exceedingly fragile) ego invested
in keeping things as they are
3) Huge control-freak type personality that is
constantly fed by the true believers that buy their
services
3) by this time, there's no way out since their living
depends on keeping up the charade
4) there's no way out because the thing has become the
reality in a sense, but a total break-down wouldn't
surprise me

Theirs is an extremely lonely life since no one can be
allowed to get close enough to them to see through the
charade.

=== message truncated ===