You think there are no Blackwater thugs and no
American troops in Iraq terrorizing the civilian
population?  That's pretty amazing.

As for choosing a side and fighting, I don't choose
sides.  If I were compelled to fight, I would probably
do it or choose death.  But I don't choose sides.  I
do not finally even know whether the wars we've seen
in the last 100 years are necessary.  Some people
obviously think they are.  As I said many times, the
soldiers in the trenches don't see what the general on
the hill sees.  So, while I don't personally like war
because I've seen it, I do not have the knowledge to
decide in any absolute way what this planet needs for
the survival of our species.  Nor am I attached to
that survival.

As for Americans not being convicted of war crimes in
large numbers, I think even you should be able to see
that this does not mean that they aren't guilty.  At
the end of WWII, the war crimes trials were conducted
by the winners of the war, not the losers, and even
then, it was just an excellent P.R. move.  If a
scientist had expertise we needed, then it didn't
matter what crimes he had committed--he was shipped to
the U.S. to give that expertise to the U.S.  My
physics teacher in high school told me he'd have the
choice to stand trial for war crimes or go to America
and do what he was told.  He said that had he not been
able to escape, he'd have chosen death rather than do
for America what he had done for Germany--not because
he didn't like America, but because he didn't want to
be guilty of such crimes yet one more time.