> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
> <j_alexander_stanley@> wrote:

> > > This test is part of a series on bicycle safety,
> > > and it's a real doozy. Try it and see how well
> > > you do:
> > >
> > > http://www.dothetest.co.uk/
> > >
> > > I think it's *very* instructive, and has a lot
> > > to say about perception and, dare I say it, the
> > > tendency for people to claim that something is
> > > true because they saw it. Or haven't.
> >
> > Ha! That was great! I can count, but I can't see fer shit.
>
> That's the point, as I see it. NONE of us can
> see for shit.
>
> We see the stuff we've been told to look for.

Actually, there are two different points to be
made with that video (which was originally made
for an entirely different purpose than what the
bicycle safety site uses it for; actually there
are several different versions, one with a gorilla
instead of a bear, another in which a woman
holding an open umbrella walks through the ball
players).

One point is that we sometimes miss things that we
shouldn't have missed (in the context of the Web
site, drivers may miss seeing a bicyclist because
they're focusing on other cars).

The other point is that our cognitive apparatus
is carefully designed to focus on what is relevant
to whatever we're doing, while excluding things
that don't matter--even when they're quite
prominent.

Most of the time that skill serves us well. We
couldn't function efficiently if we weren't able
to exclude what's irrelevant.

Occasionally, though, it's a drawback, as when the
automobile driver focuses on other cars and
doesn't notice the bicyclist.

But that doesn't happen because of a flaw in our
cognitive apparatus; it's functioning precisely
as it should. It's just that we don't always know
what's going to be relevant and what isn't.

In the case of the video, the bear is irrelevant
to the task we're asked to perform. Its presence
doesn't affect the number of ball passes. And if
our attention is caught by the bear, we lose track
of the passes we're supposed to be counting.

In the bicycle-safety context, noticing a bicycle
*could* cause the automobile driver to lose their
focus on the other cars. It's entirely possible
the driver would have a serious accident, while
the bicyclist escaped unscathed; whereas if the
driver hadn't been distracted by the bicyclist,
there would have been no accident to either the
driver or the cyclist.

That's essentially the situation with the video.
If we aren't distracted by the bear, we're able
to maintain an accurate count of the ball passes,
and of course nothing happens to the bear.

But when we're asked to watch for the bear, we're
almost certain to fail at the task of keeping
count of the ball passes.

In other words, the video doesn't really make the
point the Web site tries to use it to make.

<snip>
> I love this test because it reminds me of realization.

It shouldn't, in fact, because the bear is an element
in the relative, whereas the realization of
enlightenment transcends the relative. A more accurate
parallel to enlightenment would be maintaining
awareness that we're watching a video at the same time
that we're engrossed in counting the passes and/or
watching for the bear.