Written by my friend Igal Moria (once named Igal Harmelin) He used to be a
close student of Maharishi's and for the past 10 years has been associated
with spiritual teacher Andrew Cohen and with his magazine, "What Is
Enlightenment?"

In 1959, a young Indian monk with long, dark hair, clad in a silk dhoti and
wearing wooden flip-flops, was waiting at the terminal of the Honolulu
airport to board a flight to Los Angeles. When called to board the plane, he
grabbed his only piece of "luggage"—a small rolled carpet that included all
his worldly possessions. None of the other passengers waiting with him
expected the diminutive man with bronze skin, keen eyes and pleasant
countenance to become one of the most influential and well-known figures of
the second half of the 20th Century. His name was Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and
this was the first time he was about to visit the continental USA and from
there, spread his Transcendental Meditation technique around the world.

Between that day and February 5th of this year, his day of passing, one of
the most captivating, colorful and intriguing dramas of our times unfolded,
a mythological story about a giant of consciousness who has created a
world-wide movement, touched the hearts of millions and changed the lives of
countless individuals, directly and indirectly.

He was born Mahesh Prasad Varma in the central Indian town of Jabalpur in
1917. 22 years later, when he was a graduate student of physics, a
mysterious saint by the name of Swami Brahmananda Saraswati came to town.
Young Mahesh, whose uncle was a disciple of that saint, was introduced to
him—and his life was changed forever. He would serve the Swami, whom he
always referred to as Guru Dev, the divine master, until the latter's death,
13 years later.

While the world would want to remember Maharishi with the aid of convenient
sound bites—"The Guru of the Beatles," "The Giggling Guru", "The Man Who
Taught the World to Meditate" or "The Man who Kick-started the New
Age"—Maharishi's sole focus was completing his master's project: securing
that the Vedic wisdom would not go extinct. Unlike many spiritual teachers
who flocked to the West in the 60's and 70's, partly encouraged by his fame
and success, Maharishi's main goal has always been India, whom he called
"The Land of the Veda." There he hoped to uproot the common, life-negating
belief that the realization of material goals was in opposition to spiritual
aspirations and that in order to engage in spirituality one should renounce
the world.

This was a fundamental misinterpretation of the scriptural intention, he
would vehemently claim, and is chiefly responsible for India's backwardness.
The basis for material prosperity, he taught, must be the development of
consciousness. "Water the root to enjoy the fruit," he would say. "Develop
your consciousness in order to enjoy material life." Just as a wise
commander who wishes to conquer a territory focuses his efforts on capturing
the fort that oversees that territory, so should those who wish to prosper
in every aspect of their lives, spiritual and material, develop their
consciousness.

Soon he understood that he would not be able to get very far in India: the
simple masses were overtaken by inertia while the educated elite were
fascinated by materialism, either in its Western version or the communist
one. Maharishi, who was not able to think in small terms, understood that
only if he established himself as a spiritual authority in the West and
flourished there materially as well, did he stand a chance to affect a
change in India. This is why he left India.

* * *

My first encounter with Maharishi occurred in August of 1973 in a kibbutz in
the North of Israel. He was not there himself, but his audio-taped lectures
were played to about fifty of us who assembled there for a 3-day intensive
of Transcendental Meditation. I was 19 and had learnt the technique just
three weeks earlier, and this was the first time that I heard the
high-pitch, melodic voice of the man who was about to become my guru for the
next 25 years. He spoke dynamically, with great confidence and loads of
inspiration, yet he was calm and his voice and laughter were soothing. The
intensive meditations, coupled with Maharishi's talks, catapulted those
present to a different, "transcendental" state of consciousness. There and
then I resolved to work for him and with him and to dedicate my life to the
dissemination of his system of meditation.

For a quarter of a century he was the hub of my life. At his service I
washed dishes, cut vegetables; purchased food, equipment and flights;
operated meditation centers in different countries; and even established, at
a governmental university in Crimea, Ukraine, a department for "Maharishi's
Vedic Science and Technology." Above all, for years I worked with him on
developing courses relating his Vedic Science to world religions.

But what remained with me most from these full and unusual years was the
experience of his presence, especially in small circles or while working
personally with him, even through the phone. He would carry you to a
different dimension, "his" dimension, the transcendental dimension of life,
in a moment, with one glance or one word. He would evoke in you a love so
powerful that you would forget the world. As Deepak Chopra wrote in his
obituary: "You could feel [his mysterious presence] before entering a room.
You could be walking down the hallway to his private apartments with the
weight of the world on your shoulders and feel your worries drop away with
every step, until by the time your hand touched the doorknob, by some magic
you felt completely carefree."

On January 11 of this year, just weeks before he died, Maharishi bid
farewell to the world and announced that his work had been accomplished.
Indeed, he left behind an international empire: meditation and Ayurveda
centers, academies for Vedic Science, and an organization that has a very
solid economic foundation (its US property alone is valued at hundreds of
millions of dollars). The organization's wealth ensures the continuation of
his educational projects in India, which distributes thousands of
scholarships for Vedic studies to boys from the Brahmin cast and thereby
ensures the continuation of the study of the Veda. He definitely saved this
teaching for extinction, at least for a while.

Historians of spirituality in the 20th century will have to admit, that
Maharishi's movement has catalyzed one of the most important processes of
that century: the infusion of Western culture with Eastern concepts. It
boosted the self-help industry that now rolls many billions of dollars a
year, and has also created the milieu within which original Western
teachings could arise. The world that Maharishi leaves behind is quite
different than the one he came to, partly because of him.

Paradoxically, the man who did so much to enhance the spiritual evolution of
the West was, himself, an orthodox Hindu who did not believe in the modern
concept of evolution, neither biological nor cultural. He believed, for
example, that in days past, during the reign of the mythical king Ram, the
world enjoyed a "golden age" and that the re-establishment of Vedic
civilization would return us to this heavenly period. This was the faith he
lived by and this is the faith he died by. The last chants, voiced by the
countless participants in his cremation ceremony in Allhahabad, was "Sri
Ram, Jai Ram, Jai Jai Ram", a song of praise to that divine king who was
said to be an embodiment of the god Vishnu. As a sign of our times, those
ancient ceremonies were broadcast live over the internet. As I watched them,
I was bowing down to him in my heart with immense appreciation and
inexpressible gratitude.

Checked by AVG.
1:27 PM