http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/articles/general/darkmatter2.html

An axion condensate,
 a likely constituent of Dark Matter,
 may be the medium of non-local consciousness,
 and may as well be the ‘pilot wave’ medium of Bohm Theory

 In this paper, the principal message is the medium, not the model.
However, having presented the argument for consciousness embedded in
Dark Matter, we mention its consistency with a model of
consciousness presented at this conference (QM2003) and also discuss
two relevant models from the internet.
1. BEC media posited for consciousness
 Assuming a material world, the non-local properties of
consciousness (see below) suggest that it must exist in a
macroscopic coherent quantum medium, called a Bose-Einstein
Condensate (BEC) that is meters in extent and perhaps global. Known
BECs such as super-fluids and superconductors only exist near
absolute zero. To explain consciousness the BEC medium must exist at
room temperature.
The presumption of a BEC medium to explain our visible, waking or
physical consciousness underlies both the early Frolich/Marshall
(where the medium is a coherent field of membrane dipoles) and the
more recent Penrose/Hameroff microtubule-medium model. Both models
require metabolic excitation to a state of thermodynamic
non-equilibrium (see Hagan, QM2003), consistent with a physical
consciousness that can turn off and turn on, as in sleeping and
waking.