--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "claudiouk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Happened to watch snippets of two programmes tonight - rather
> disturbing. First MMY tape, quite an early one, on M channel,
around
> 18:40 GMT. Some quotes will give the flavour: " funnily enough,
this is
> the story of love; no-one loves anybody; all currents of love
directed
> by self, for self, to self; feeding of self is what is dear,
expansion
> of self is only what is dear" etc. At end talked about self
expanding
> to Self, which seems OK but this is rather a limited view.
Throughout
> nature from cellular, organ, organism and social levels there is
> evidence of co-operation, altruism & selflessness (more Self than
self
> perhaps but nevertheless..). A psychpath, according to MMY's
criteria,
> would be more enlightened than a Ghandi? Surely not.
>
> The other was a TV report on Voodism in Benin - how poor families
are
> having to sell their children to pay for expensive Voodoo rituals
> rectify bad "aspects" etc. Kind of exploitation that could easily
> result, in future, with the likes of Yagyas & Jyotish etc.

What do you mean in future? The TMO makes a fortune peddling this
superstitious garbage to the True Believers. Yagyas cost a fortune!

And not content with mugging gullible seekers they teach jyotish at
Maharishi schools, how immoral is that! Ostensibly I don't care about
consenting adults giving money to the TMO and getting nothing in
return, if people want to kid themselves that yagas do anything at
all it's up to them but I've known plenty who have splashed out
thousands and thousands and obviously not got anything in return, I
wouldn't mind if it was even half as good as the placebo effect!
Sure, they kid themselves that it works "on some level" usually one
they "are not aware of".

I think bringing up children to believe this stuff should be illegal.
If you can't prove that something has any basis in fact what right do
you have to teach children it's an established fact, just because
it's "vedic"?

That's the trouble with religion it teaches you to be happy not
understanding the world. Keep it out of the classroom and the next
generation will grow up rejecting voodoo hokum.

> So was reminded of my general unease about TMO's tendencies towards
> fundamentalism where common sense and compassion and fairness have
> become such secondary concerns. Doesn't augur well for future TM
Voodoo