Richard Adams in Washington
The Guardian, Monday September 17 2007 Article history
Alan Greenspan, the consummate Washington insider and
long-time head of the US central bank, has backed the
position taken by many anti-war critics - that the
invasion of Iraq was motivated by oil.
His claim comes in his newly published autobiography,
The Age of Turbulence, in which he also castigates
George Bush's administration for making "grave
mistakes" in economic policy.

Sounding more like an activist than a lifelong
Republican who worked alongside six US presidents, Mr
Greenspan, the former Federal Reserve chairman, said
in an interview with the Guardian that the invasion of
Iraq was aimed at protecting Middle East oil reserves:
"I thought the issue of weapons of mass destruction as
the excuse was utterly beside the point."

Mr Greenspan said it was clear to him that Saddam
Hussein had wanted to control the Straits of Hormuz
and so control Middle East oil shipments through the
vital route out of the Gulf. He said that had Saddam
been able to do that it would have been "devastating
to the west" as the former Iraqi president could have
just shut off 5m barrels a day and brought "the
industrial world to its knees".

In the book Mr Greenspan writes: "Whatever their
publicised angst over Saddam Hussain's 'weapons of
mass destruction', American and British authorities
were also concerned about violence in the area that
harbours a resource indispensable for the functioning
of the world economy. I am saddened that it is
politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone
knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil."

Asked to explain his remark, he said: "From a rational
point of view, I cannot understand why we don't name
what is evident and indeed a wholly defensible
pre-emptive position." As longest-serving chairman of
the Fed, Mr Greenspan was renowned for his cryptic
statements about the economy. But in his memoir, which
went on sale over the weekend, he uncharacteristically
criticises the Bush administration, while praising
Bill Clinton and his advisers. "Little value was
placed on rigorous economic policy debate or the
weighing of long-term development," he writes of the
current administration.

The 81-year-old's attack will hurt a White House
already suffering feeble approval ratings and a
faltering economic background. Describing ballooning
government deficits under President Bush, he condemns
the way deficit spending was used to support the
legislative agenda: "It was a struggle for me to
accept that this had become the dominant ethos and
economic policy of the Republican party."--- Bhairitu