[...]
> Yes I did know that it is based on FreeBSD.  I probably would have been
> based on Linux if it wasn't for the SCO fiasco.

Avie Trevanian, chief engineer at NeXT, and later at Apple,  helped create the
Mach kernel used in FreeBSD, so to go to Linux would have been an absolute
insanity on Apple's part.

  Why?  Because there
> would have been even more free engineering for Apple to take advantage
> of.  I believe that operating systems should be free.  No way can
> Microsoft or Apple match the work that has gone into Linux and they know
> it.  The latest thing that is rattling the industry is the low cost
> flash drive notebooks such as the Eee PC.
> http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24
>
> These are available with Linux or a flavor of Windows (probably Windows
> CE).   Since most people are buying these for travel to check their
> email I would recommend Linux since you won't need to worry about
> viruses.  These are considered a threat to the notebook manufacturers as
> the Sony VAIO head mentioned recently.  However HP just decided to
> release their own (which is the proper way to handle the "threat.").
>
> In case you didn't notice ASUS makes Apple's motherboards for them.

Which has what to do with FreeBSD? Are you saying that Apple, which has put a
variant of
MacOS X on iPhones, couldn't manage to put one on a flash-drive laptop?

BTW, did you miss the fact that the latest Mac laptop lacks any external media
drive? Its all
down via wireless, including installing updates, which is how they got it so
thin.

Lawson