In a message dated 6/10/05 10:35:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
How many trillions of dollars have "democracies" stolen from
Africa over the centuries -- natural resources, human slave trade,
effects of colonization, etc.?

Not that many. Most looting of Africa was done by Monarchies and Dictators over the centuries. Slave trade was instituted by Africans and Arabs. European colonization brought Africa out of it's "deepest darkest" phase into the twentieth century and hopefully beyond. I would say it could still use a very strong "European " influence though, what with the Hootu and Tutsie type things, Robert Mugabies(please forgive my spelling on some of these names),Idi Amins, and Mohammed Faradied. Africa still has a long way to go. Forgiving debts to dictators and corrupt governments doesn't help the average African but sure makes some dictators and their cronies very wealthy. True democracies and freedom will be the best rout for Africans to advance.