--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       From the Declaration of Independence in 1776 to World War 2 in 1945,
> America was
trying to promote Democracy and Republicanism all over the world.  At that
time, the two
major enemies of US was Britain and Spain.!!

>       From 1945 when the world lapsed into an Ideological Cold War, The US
> position
changed upside down and Promoting right-wing Dictatorships all over the world
was
considered the best strategy to combat Communism.  Dictatorships are easier to
control
and democracies have complications.

>        In September 11th 2001, the US position again changed upside down and
> Promoting
Democracies all over the world was considered the best strategy by the Pentagon
and the
CIA.

>        In other words, You guys are returning back to Pre-1945 position.
>
>        In other words, You are back to square one.!!

Most (or at least many) people believe that the _de facto_ foreign policy  of
the US
government has been to act to promote the continuation of the US citizen's
lifestyle,
rather than to promote "democracy" or any other idealist goal.

I think that a fair claim can be made that THIS goal has been subverted to
promote the
interests of specific individuals and groups over the national interests of the
American
public in general, but that you're fooling yourself if  you think our national
goals have
been "lofty" for a very long time.

Lawson