"It's not an "internet rumor." It's from a book called "The Real
McCain: Why Conservatives Don't Trust Him and Why Independents
Shouldn't" by Cliff Schecter. Here's the passage from the book:
Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let
me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his
1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife,
Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett.
At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're
getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he
responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you
c---." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected
president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

http://tinyurl.com/48r4ar