> On May 14, 2008, at 5:53 PM, freeradicalfederation wrote:
>
> > My data shows that TM and the TM-Sidhis program can significantly
> > raise intraocular pressure (IOP). Elevated IOP is the most
> > significant risk factor for glaucoma, one of the leading treatable
> > causes of blindness worldwide.
> >
> You definitely would have to rule out that your sample is not somehow
> self-selecting for people with those characteristics. In other words,
> are you sure that your sample is randomized? Could you be possibly
> just seeking out those that match this type?
>
> Be careful with your controls. There are controls that mimic TM quite
> precisely. I could post them if you're interested.

Hmmm... that strikes me as a very strange reply. So what if this isn't
random and if the people were self-selecting? That is entirely not the
point.

The point is that the very existence of data on this phenomenon is
noteworthy. Beyond this, I feel it is up to the TM organization to
investigate the extent of the risk to the whole population of
meditators. That's not my interest nor am I in a position to perform
that research.

I want to understand the mechanism by TM can elevate IOP. Through what
physiological mechanisms might this happen? Any ideas? Would it be
increased blood flow to the head? Something else? Thanks.