<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
> willytex@ wrote:
> >
> > Ruth wrote:
> > > I do not believe in unstressing. The concept
> > > makes no sense to me whatsoever.
> > >
> > Get some smarts, Ruth - do a little research.
> > 'Unstressing' is a pretty common concept in
> > bio-medicine.
> >
> > "In medical terms, stress is the disruption
> > of homeostasis through physical or psychological
> > stimuli. Stressful stimuli can be mental,
> > physiological, anatomical or physical
> > reactions.
>
> Richard,  You are adding more pieces to the puzzle that you are.  I
> see you doing this move in a number of posts.
>
> The bogus term is "unstressing."
>
> The medically accepted term is "stress." although I find Selye's terms
> distress and eustress more useful.
>
> So is your switch a deliberate move so you can use one of your harsh
> putdowns like "get some smarts?"  This is trollish behavior Richard.
>
> Are you award of the difference in the terms "stress" and
> "unstressing" as used in Maharishi's movement or not?
>
> If you aren't then you just have a fundamental cognitive problem
> making distinctions.
>
> If you are aware of the distinction, then you are behaving trollishly.

Thanks Curtis, I couldn't have send it better.   I think there needs to
be more of a conversation about the distress that some people feel.  I
am not claiming that it is a big problem, it is just one that is ignored
beyond telling someone to rest enough.    On one hand, calling it
unstressing can help people feel like something is accomplished and that
they are normal.  On the other hand, if the distress does not go away,
then problems can result.  Maybe they need treatment for mental health
issue like anxiety or depression and don't get the treatment.  Maybe
they feel that they are not practicing TM correctly (this is reinforced
by movement people who make comments much like Lawson's comments).
Maybe they waste their lives with a technique that does nothing for them
and buy into more and more bogus pain relief, from supplements to east
facing houses.