Maharishi's
> > simply

> > which

> > accountability' in

> > America

> > with "financial
> > ask
> > >

> > > The Congress and the Bush administration and the Big Money
corporate
> > > and K Street financial industry behind it that's put the
country of
> > > regular Americans in it's current fiscal horror story, comes to
> > mind.
> > >
> > > The American people [excluding the small percentage of the
obscenely
> > > wealthy] also seem to have actually developed a status of
negative
> > > savings.
> > >
> > > The only real 'accountability' I see happening is the
inevitable
> > cause
> > > and effect results of fiscal irresponsibility disastrously
coming
> > home
> > > to roost.
> > >

> > The accountability system is probably fine; it's whether people
> > actually read the financial statements and interpret them
properly
> > that is lacking.
> >
> > Enron is a case in point.  Enron didn't "doctor" their financial
> > statements...they had them coming out of the wazoo!  In fact,
when
> > the first business journal articles started coming out
questioning
> > whether Enron was a viable business enterprise (and which
eventually
> > led to their demise), a team from the Enron accounting department
> > would get on the corporate jet and fly to wherever the reporters
were
> > and present them with mountains of financial documents...all
> > legitimate financial documents.
> >
> > Indeed, the fact that they fulfilled their accountability
> > responsibilities completely that was part of the problem of their
> > downfall.  The special purpose entities that they created in
order to
> > do business required not thousands of pages of financial
statements
> > but 100s of thousands of pages of financial statements which
were,
> > for the most part, all done properly.
> >
> > But who could read them all and make sense of them?
> >
> > It's funny; the one government agency that did NOT have a problem
> > with Enron was the IRS.  They never bothered Enron because Enron
> > practically never made money, as their annual corporate income
tax
> > forms attested to.
> >
> > But Enron is the opposite of the TMO; Enron had too many
financial
> > statements, the TMO not enough.
>

> The Enron bunch in charge were crooks - just like the Bush
> administration and the Big Money corporate and K Street financial
> industry behind it that's put the country of regular Americans in
it's
> current fiscal horror story.

How much do you know of the Enron story?

Malcolm Gladwell of the New Yorker wrote a piece on Jeffrey Skilling -
- who was sentenced to over 20 years of hard time -- in which he lays
down the case that he is COMPLETELY innocent.

If you want a really good read and can keep an open mind on the
subject, read his piece here...at the very least, read part 1 and see
if it doesn't hook you:

http://gladwell.com/2007/2007_01_08_a_secrets.html