> On Jul 7, 2008, at 7:18 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> >> No meditative effort necessary (that's not to say TM is effortless,
> >> all meditations which require a technique are,
> >> by their very nature, effortful), all that is required is smrti,
> >> mindfulness. For example, if one is not mindful, one doesn't
> >> return to
> >> the mantra.
> >
> > Eh, that sounds effortful to me.
>
> As has been pointed out before here, ANY technique ipso facto will
> contain some effort--so you definitely should not confuse the TM
> advertising slogan "effortless"  as some false dogma of meditation
> instruction, esp. given that MMY has pointed out that TM does require
> some (trifling) effort. Otherwise you just assume a false view and
> set yourself up.
>
> Remember: prayatna = technique AND it also means "effort". It's
> causally inescapable.

I believe that you're readaing too much into translations of languages.

And please don't tell me that I'm being effortful in the slightest with TM.
Certainly, at times, effort arises, but it is unnecessary and in fact,
counter-productive.

> > The instruction is "when you notice," not
> > "try to make sure you notice." The theory (MMY"s original and the
> > current
> > neurological) is that when you have finished cycling through whatever
> > thoughts arise due to the nervous-system-activity that resulted from
> > the "inward stroke" of meditation, you WILL have an opportunity to
> > recall
> > the mantra. Trying to "speed up" that process merely distorts the
> > process.
>
> One doesn't need to try to "speed up" anything, one just needs to be
> mindful.

Needs = try = not-TM.

Most people will not even realize they are doing it, but the
> ones IMO who are successful with TM all will, naturally have an
> overarching mindfulness or awareness. If you can't do that and are
> habitually lost in thoughts, then a TM style meditation might not be
> suitable for you, you'll just end up causing yourself more suffering
> rather than relieving it. Instead of creating a groove for
> transcending, you'll create grooves for distraction.

Yeah, right (a double positive indicating a negative).

> If you're not repeating the basic process of TM habitually, you'll
> never "dye the cloth" and get neuroplastic changes (which take a
> couple of months to kick in, minimum) which make TM natural, easy and
> spontaneous.

You haven't a clue, as I've pointed out many times.

Lawson