So therefore it's not Pure Consciousness. That's
> what I was forced to conclude based on my direct experience. It
> became clear such thought free states were restful, but not
> necessarily helpful, at least to me. I could see, for example, how
> cultivating such states could make one feel tired or even depressed.

I know you have made this point before but I appreciate you repeating
it. It is fascinating.  I think the first link Judy gave me spells out
some of the difficulties in discussing these experiences and comparing
them. http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Reli/ReliMaho.htm  It is a great
article.  But it really only applies when we are discussing the
experiences.  Your own experiences of the differences for yourself
doesn't have the same language problem.  It might be possible that the
similar experience is experienced differently due the the different
belief system context, although I doubt that is how you would see it.

About the possible negative effects of the state reached in TM, I
don't rule it out but it doesn't match my experience yet.  I did
conclude that the length of time I was experiencing the full siddhi
program was too much of this state for me.  I guess I have a measured
view of the benefit outside meditation so there is a limit to how much
time I am willing to devote.  Plus I do believe that extended states
of dissociative awareness is not good for me.  I may be wrong but that
is my belief now.  I did not hear about people experiencing these
negative results from just TM.  I am more dubious about the siddhis
due to the length of time, rather than the techniques themselves.  I
think they are just hokum and are really just an excuses to stay in
the meditative state longer giving you something to "do".  I have no
faith that Maharishi was doing more than winging it with the siddhis
and don't believe that Patanjali is a historical precedent for their
practice.

I don't feel a desire to go beyond my simple peaceful state of
meditation and am not convinced that more radical shifts of
consciousness is even a good thing, let alone a revelation concerning
our deepest natures.  I think we are really at the beginning of our
understanding of these states and have zero faith in traditional views
on their value.

But of course I am happy that you are a guinea pig and willing to
discuss your own experiences.  Is this something that you would
practice regularly like TM?  How does it relate to your practice of
eyes open meditaton?  Please feel free to take the discussion offline
if this is too personal for a group forum.   I greatly appreciate your
willingness to discuss your perspective and experiences.