I acknowledge and fully subscribe to the maxim that the ways and
means of karma are unfathomable.

Nevertheless, I cannot help thinking of something after having seen
one of Alex Baldwin's excellent PETA public service videos which I am
sure most of you have seen.  I'm talking about the ones in which he
narrates hidden footage of operatives inside slaughterhouses, farms,
labs, etc.

One I saw a few days ago (sorry, I lost the link) contained footage
and narrative that informs the viewer that most of the hamburger meat
we eat in the U.S. comes from dairy cows who, no longer needed to
produce milk because of age, go to slaughter.  And, of course,
horrible footage of cramped quarters in transporting said beast and
how they slaughter them are enough to make you lose your meal.

But even if the daily cows were treated wonderfully in life and
death, I have to wonder this: milk is a complete and whole food that
we are provided with in order to nourish us and give us life.  Dairy
cows are, in effect, like our mothers.  We then, in turn, eat our
mothers when they are no longer useful to us.

Forget about karma; even on a common sense, intuitive level, doesn't
that just not jibe?  Isn't this intuitively yucky to even the most
jaded meat-eating redneck?

Millions upon millions of cows are treated as such every year.  This
has got to be one hell of a build-up of karma.