<no_reply@>

> > seen
> > > people

> > > He does seem to have used scare quotes.

> > > Or, more likely, that they're the first stage of a
> > > sequence of developments that ends with levitation.
> >
> > I'm not sure about "more likely"
>
> I was correcting Ruth's notion of what TBs believe.

Ah!

>  I lean towards the idea
> > that yogic flying is some sort of brain/body togetherness
> > that lets you tap into hidden energy.
>
> I'd buy that as one possible explanation. I don't
> know *what* the hell it is, but it's not just a
> case of mass suggestion, people just doing ordinary
> hopping and thinking it's something else, as Ruth
> seems to believe.

Personally, I think it's more than *just* delusion
but only so far as brain and body working together
somehow. Big shame DOJ and the boys haven't bothered
to check this out as it's world shattering news if
it's levitating, even if only a little bit.

I wouldn't rule out mass suggestion either, TM is a
powerful belief system and everyone knows what flying
is supposed to look like we could easily be kidding
ourselves. Just try doing it *without* the belief that
it's something special and see how far you get.

I think the idea that it's levitation part 1 is unlikely
simply because YF has such a distinct set of phases it
goes through. First is the mad hopping and sweating and
farmyard noises, then you get the hang of it and just
leap about assuming you get even that far. Finally
it just settles into a rythm and you get the same scene
in every flying room, half the people just sitting around
and the rest just twitching. If it was going to end up
with levitation surely there would be some sort of momentum
in everyone getting more lively or at least the ME helping
even the non-flyers off the ground?

>  The only reason I'd
> > go that far is because I could always do it without getting
> > out of breath,
>
> And by oneself. And there's what they call the
> "impulse," which has always been very strong
> for me. And other distinctly altered-state
> experiences.
>
>  but am we kidding ourselves? It would be
> > piss easy to demonstrate but I don't remember reading it
> > had been done.
> >
> > It doesn't matter how far you "fly" but whether you travel
> > in a parabolic curve, in ten years I never saw anyone even
> > remotely break the laws governing bodies moving through
> > the air. I saw some who had perfected the hop to the point
> > of physical poetry. Surely after thirty years they, at least,
> > would be airborne.
> >
> > > Unless you've experienced Yogic Flying, it's probably
> > > not a great idea to make suggestions about what's
> > > really happening.
> >
> > I don't know if anyone listened to the radio clip about
> > yogic flying I posted earlier but it's interesting for
> > a few reasons: it doesn't mention the ME and it doesn't
> > claim that yogic flying is the first stage of levitation.
> > I think that is the best you can say about it at the moment.
>
> I haven't listened to it. What do they say about it,
> if not that it's the first stage of levitation, or
> that it generates the ME?

They say just what I think, that it's a brain/body
synchronisation that makes meditation deeper. I've
no doubt they are just being media-savvy and not
scaring the locals away from their new development
but it's nice to hear they can drop the hyperbole.
Unless it's a new improved TMO we are dealing with.