"I'm more interested in listening than doing a lot of talking,"

That's a good strategy for him, since he tends to get way off
message without a teleprompter.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Democratic presidential contender Barack
> Obama arrived in Afghanistan on Saturday, the first stop on a
> campaign-season tour of war zones, a spokesman said.Less than
> four months before the general election, Obama's first visit to
> Afghanistan, with a subsequent stop in Iraq, was rich with
political
> implications, although the Illinois senator flew as part of an
official
> congressional delegation.Rival John McCain has criticized Obama
> for his lack of time in the region, and the Republican National
> Committee had a running ticker tallying the more than 900 days
since
> his last visit to Iraq.Spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama arrived
in Kabul early Saturday."I
> look forward to seeing what the situation on the ground is," Obama
told
> a pair of reporters who accompanied him to his departure from
Andrews
> Air Force Base on Thursday."I want to, obviously, talk to the
> commanders and get a sense both in Afghanistan and in Baghdad of,
you
> know, what the most, their biggest concerns are, and I want to
thank
> our troops for the heroic work that they've been doing," he said
before
> his flight overseas.Obama advocates ending the U.S. combat role
> in Iraq by withdrawing troops at the rate of one to two combat
brigades
> a month. But he supports increasing the military commitment to
> Afghanistan, where the Taliban has been resurgent and Osama bin
laden
> is believed to be hiding.On his trip, Obama intends to meet with
> Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president. He recently chided Karzai and
his
> government, saying it had "not gotten out of the bunker" and
helped to
> organize the country or its political and security
institutions.Also
> on his itinerary is a meeting with Nouri al-Maliki, the Iraqi
leader.
> On the campaign trail, Obama has said one benefit of withdrawing
U.S.
> troops is that it would pressure al-Maliki to shore up his
government
> as well.Nonetheless, he said he did not plan to reiterate those
messages in person."I'm
> more interested in listening than doing a lot of talking, and I
think
> it's very important to recognize that I'm going over there as a
U.S.
> senator," he said. "We have one president at a time."In a speech
this week, Obama said the war in Iraq was a distraction, unlike the
fighting in Afghanistan."This
> is a war that we have to win," he said. "I will send at least two
> additional combat brigades to Afghanistan, and use this commitment
> seek greater contributions — with fewer restrictions — from NATO
allies."I
> will focus on training Afghan security forces and supporting an
Afghan
> judiciary, with more resources and incentives for American
officers who
> perform these missions."By contrast, his opposition to the war
> in Iraq — and call for an end to the U.S. combat role — helped him
> overcome his rivals in the battle for the Democratic presidential
> nomination.Lately, his efforts to explain how he will use what
> he learns from U.S. commanders to refine his proposals have brought
> charges from Republicans and complaints from Democratic liberals
that
> he seems to be shifting his Iraq policy toward the political
center.
> But Obama maintains his basic goal of ending the U.S. combat role
soon
> remains unchanged and that he's always said the U.S. withdrawal
must be
> done carefully.Obama also arranged to visit Jordan, Israel,
> Germany, France and England, traveling aboard a jet chartered by
his
> presidential campaign, before his return to the United States. The
> weeklong trip marks his only foreign excursion as a presidential
> candidate; McCain has visited Canada, Colombia and Mexico, in part
> highlight Obama's opposition to trade deals with those
allies.Obama began his trip with as much secrecy as a presumed
presidential nominee can muster.The
> senator took an unmarked, corporate Gulfstream-III jet, much
smaller
> than his normal campaign plane, from Chicago to Washington. He was
> joined by his Secret Service detail, spokeswoman Linda Douglass
and two
> reporters.Obama deplaned at Reagan National Airport in
> Washington, took one question apiece from the reporters, and then
his
> motorcade departed for a hasty ride to Andrews Air Force Base
about 10
> miles away in Maryland.Upon his arrival, Obama was greeted by a
> group of Air Force personnel at the bottom of stairs leading to the
> military Boeing 737 transporting his congressional delegation.
Obama's
> traveling companions, Sens. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., and Jack Reed,
R.I.,
> were not visible to the reporters, but Douglass confirmed they were
> already on board the aircraft.Both senators, each a veteran,
> have been mentioned as potential Obama vice presidential running
mates,
> but Reed has said he's not interested in the job.Few citizens in
> impoverished Afghanistan were aware of Obama's unannounced visit,
and
> few have been following the U.S. presidential race, being too busy
> eking out an existence amid soaring violence and with limited
access to
> news media.But some interviewed Saturday said they would welcome
> an Obama presidency if he could help their country end the
fighting,
> corruption and poverty that have crippled it for so long."Obama
> is a good person," said Abdul Basir, 40, a former army
officer. "During
> his campaign I heard he was saying that if I become president I
will
> withdraw the U.S. troops from Iraq and bring them to Afghanistan
and I
> will attack on the terror center on other side of border (in
Pakistan).
> It is very important and I appreciated that."The Afghans expressed
a readiness to see the end of the Bush presidency. Obama's racial
heritage also has drawn attention here."He's
> welcome to our war-torn city," said Habibullah Hamdard, a 42-year-
old
> teacher. "If he has loved his children, he should love the Afghan
> children who are dying around the country every day. The white guy
> couldn't do anything, let's see what the black guy can do."
>
> Associated Press writer Glen Johnson in Washington and Amir Shah
in Kabul, Afghanistan, contributed to this report.