> What they should do, is create a bunch of firewalled
> Second LIfe islands ala what IBM does for its secure
> corporate meetings and have daily face to face (virtual)
> meetings (that will almost certainly happen within a
> few years for national-level campaigns).

I've never understood the fascination that
some people have with "virtual worlds." Don't
these people have real lives? Don't they *like*
their real lives?

JOOC, what does your avatar look like in Second
Life, Lawson? Does it look like you look in real
life?

In the only one of these silly places I ever
played with (I got bored within a week), I made
a 3D avatar of myself, from photos. It seemed
the only honest thing to do, since the "world"
was populated with gay guys with the avatars of
buxsome babes and skinny wimps with avatars that
looked like Ahnold and fat guys with avatars that
looked like Brad Pitt and nerds who have trouble
lifting a mouse wielding big broadswords.

What IS the fascination you see with this
virtual world stuff, eh? It seems to me that
existing conference software with TV cameras
would be a great deal more effective (and more
sane and safer than for the world) than a bunch
of guys and gals having meetings while pretend-
ing to be Superman and Wonder Woman.