"The sum of the energy a person puts into defending
his or her self is equal to or greater than the sum
of the energy that person puts into fighting their
own selflessness."

In mathematical terms:

    e(defending the self) => e(fighting enlightenment)

In layman's terms:

    "When it comes to self, don't excuse it, lose it."

I cognized this theory today while walking my dogs
along the beach. I cognize many of my weirdass theories
while walking along that beach; there must be something
Vedic about it. :-)

Gazing out at the beach, I noticed once again how easy
it was to tell the locals from the tourists. The tourists,
male or female (and the latter, topless or not) were vis-
ibly expending a great deal of energy looking around to
see if people were watching them, and if so, what these
people *thought* of them. You could tell from the expres-
sions on their faces how *important* it was to them what
these strangers thought of them. Most of their energy was
being channeled into "pushing it out," projecting a weak
shakti field, trying to *influence* what these strangers
thought of them.

The locals JUST DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT what anyone
else thought of them. Most of their energy was "pulled in,"
reserved for having a nice day on the beach. The most
beautiful person I saw on the beach this morning was a
35-ish woman, *very* pregnant and wearing only a thong,
playing on the beach with two of her other children,
both girls, both as topless as she. Shemp would have been
horrified; he would have made speeches about "inappropriate."
I *loved* this woman. Not a single erg of her energy was
being expended in caring what the people around her thought
of her. She was just being herself, and thus stood out
as the most selfless person on the beach.

Then I walked on, watching my dogs and their interactions
with other dogs. Same thing. Same expression of the theorem.
Some dogs trotted along, in their own world, just enjoying
a good walk for itself. Other dogs felt the need to snarl
at other dogs and to guard their territory as if this public
walkway along a beach really *was* their territory. Do I
need to tell you which of the sets of dogs appeared happier,
and seemed to be enjoying their walks the most?

Then I came back home, deposited the dogs in the garden,
took my computer and settled in at my favorite seat in
the new cafe next door to my apartment. And, for the first
few minutes, I watched the people out for their traditional
Sunday Stroll. (Sunday Stroll is a big thing in Spain.)
And here, too the theorem seemed to be in effect. Some
strollers just strolled, in their own happy spaces, smiling
and joking with the people they were walking with, and they
JUST DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT what those of us sitting
in cafes watching them walk past thought of them. Others
put MOST of their energy into "pushing it out," *trying*
to get us voyeurs to focus on them, and to appreciate their
new designer outfit/shoes/breasts/whatever. Again, do I
need to tell you which group seemed to be enjoying their
walk more?

And now I'm writing a rap for Fairfield Life, knowing from
long experience that this theorem of physics is in effect
here, too. I'm presenting the theorem as the basis for an
experiment that other posters can perform, an experiment
in perception, as it were:

For the next week or so, as you read the posts on FFL, pay
attention to where the poster's energy is directed. Are they
"pushing it out," trying to defend themselves or their
beliefs, or are they "pulling it in," seemingly in JUST
DON'T GIVE A SHIT mode, either ignoring negative
"takes" on their self, laughing at them, or best, laughing
with them?

Make a list -- mental or physical...doesn't matter. On that
list, make two columns: "Defends his/her self" and "Doesn't
give a shit." As you read each post, analyze its energy and
put a checkmark in the appropriate column by that person's
name.

When you've gathered sufficient data, look at each column and
think about how the people in each column "rank" on your own
personal scale of "evolution." Which group seems to be most
self-realized, or just happier? Which group tends to write
about their cool experiences Here And Now, not just memories
from courses and retreats long past or the last time they saw
Sri Soandso? Which column seems (in your opinion...no one
else's) to have the best shot at enlightenment and non-
attachment to self, if such a thing exists?

If you perform this little experiment, and find my silly
theory valid, cool. If you perform it and find my silly
theory invalid, cool. If you don't do it at all, cool.
I don't give a shit.