All of this sounds good, and sounds productive.  As I
said to you, we were speaking different languages.
I assumed you were talking about "transforming"
emotions by pondering them intellectually; you were
talking about "feeling the body."  And as I said to
Dr. Pete, I think that can be beneficial.

I guess that the reason I like the Tibetan guy's
approach to dealing with emotions is that it assumes
that they're not "our" emotions.  They are merely the
way the world looks from a particular state of attention
that flows through us briefly.  In this paradigm, the
world looks the same to ALL people who are experiencing
that state of attention; ALL of them experience the same
set of emotions.

This strikes me as possibly a more accurate model than
the Western idea that "our" emotions are somehow "ours."
That's all.

Unc

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Unc:Continuing the discussion (and I really see it as adiscussion,
not
> an argument or an attempt to convinceanyone of anything), IS
> suppression the same as simplyshifting one's attention?Think TM.
When
> [...]
> other emotions. I interpret that kind of approach being dualistic.
> That is not my path. It is has not even been possible for me after
the
> powerful awakening experience I had at the age 16.
>
> Unc:We must agree to disagree on this. I've already statedmy view,
> that there is an infinite supply of ALL emotionsavailable to ALL
> people at ALL times. Nothing either addsto or subtracts from the
> supply of "available emotions."
>
> Irmeli:I'm here talking about emotional states, we all have, and
many
> of which we are not aware of. They are suppressed. An emotional
state
> has too sides to it like a coin. One is mental and the other is
> physical. Suppressed emotions often create in the long run  not
only
> mental but also physical illnesses. And these emotional states can
> gradually be exposed and transformed or healed. I do it by focusing
my
> attention on  where the emotion is located physically in body. I
hold
> the physical and mental parts together and infuse this package by
> bliss. Many interesting things can happen then. The most important
> being the gradual improvement of health. If I work with fear, I
shift
> my attention away from the thoughts, what I might be afraid of, and
> pay attention on the  physical counterpart of the emotion.
>
> And here I really know, what I'm talking about, because I have done
> this kind of work a lot. And I have had good reasons for why I've
been
> doing it.I grew up in a dysfunctional family. My mother is mentally
> ill, and was physically very violent towards me. As an adolescent I
> had many problems: I was withdrawn, suffered from anxiety, was
> stuttering, my bearing was poor, I had mild scoliosis.  Starting
from
> early childhood I suffered pains during the nights in my hands and
> feet. When I grew older, the pain got worse. At age 20 I was
diagnosed
> with a progressive muscular disease. I had mild pathological changes
> in my muscles. Later that disease was found to be genetically
> inherited. These reasons have drawn me to work intensely with my
> energies = suppressed emotions.
>
>  This work included meditation in a way where a lot of attention was
> paid on the physical sensations simply because their were many
> uncomfortable sensations in my body. I have not used pain killers.
> Later  I also started to use a powerful breathing technique to
better
> to connect to the emotions. I have also gone through eight years of
> psychoanalytical psychotherapy.
>
> And how am I nowadays? I'm 54 years old. I'm not withdrawn, no
> anxiety, outgoing, and have many hobbies. My energy flows. The
> scoliosis has gone, my bearing is good. I'm stuttering much less.
The