> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It does seem rather ironic that a spiritual movement who's
> > primary goal is enlightenment does not encourage its members
> > to talk about their experiences regarding this goal. I've always
> > seen this as a political decision. I believe Bevan et al wanted
> > to hold on to the interpretive power or the sanctioned narrative
> > of enlightenment. This then assured them of the "purity of the
> > teaching" and sole control over the meaning of enlightenment.
>
> Yup.  And sole control over "validating" reported exper-
> iences of enlightenment and advising people on how to
> regard them and what to do with them.
>
> I don't know about the rest of you, but Bevan's right
> out for me as someone to trust the advice of.

What advice does Bevan give about enlightenment?

 And even
> IF (a big IF) I considered Maharishi an expert on higher
> states of consciousness, if I look at how things have
> turned out for him and what he's become, it's not as if
> I'm gonna be lookin' for advice from him, either.

What advice does MMY give?

> > God forbid there could be people out there in the TMO in higher
> > states of consciousness who disagreed with MMY or the TMO.
>
> This is probably the real reason why no one has been
> "certified" enlightened.  Can't take the chance that,
> once they have been, they'll continue to follow the
> party line.

There have been many people reporting episodes of CC lasting a year
or more who have been studied quite extensively. And King TOny's
state of consciousness has been "examined quite carefully" by MMY.

> > These people had to be marginalized. And they were by not
> > allowing personal talk of enlightenment. Enlightenment was
> > only discussed as an inspiration to continue with some
> > program or to adhere to some organizational rule.
>
> The carrot on the stick tied to the horse, never to be
> munched, only drooled over.  The Road Runner eternally
> pursued by Wile E. Coyote, never to be caught, only to
> be pursued.  A myth.  And, of course, a myth that
> increases sales.  The better the myth is of how good
> Road Runner tastes when you catch one, the more products
> the Acme company is able to sell to hungry coyotes.

Perhaps, or perhaps a genuine sincerity of belief that the carrot
exists, and that following the advice of the organization will help
others attain that carrot.