> Since you clearly don't get what I'm hinting
> at, John, I'll explain it a little. I'm suggest-
> ing that when it comes to admiring people, you
> have very low standards.

This is fun. I've rarely encountered such a
clear example of how low TMers' standards for
admiration are. This is the description of this
guy from the original article that John found
so impressive, and worthy not only of admiration
but of suggesting that he should become a Raja
and help to run the TM movement. As you read it,
keep in mind one statistic:

The average miner in Brazil makes $295 per month.

And how does the fellow who John admires so much live?

> "I AM connected to the divine, to these forces here," João
> Carlos Cavalcanti, the Brazilian mining magnate, said as
> he swept an arm out across the lily pad-covered lake behind
> his $15 million mansion.
> A gentle breeze rustled through his thick white beard. Mr.
> Cavalcanti stood on the pier and closed his eyes for a moment.
> A uniformed servant, one of a staff of 15, hovered nearby
> with hors d'oeuvres and nonalcoholic drinks. She knew better
> than to disturb a man who meditates for three hours a day...
> Since then Mr. Cavalcanti has been on a spree. He said his
> 39 cars would fetch about $1 million, including a Ferrari,
> Maserati, Porsche and two BMWs. His love of cars extends to
> American classics like the 1959 Ford pickup truck parked at
> his home here. He said he was negotiating to buy a specially
> built Mercedes McLaren, price tag $1.4 million. (Only three
> Brazilians have a McLaren, he said, one of those being Mr.
> Batista.)
> Last December he and his wife, Renilce, 55, moved into a home
> straight out of Gone With the Wind. Recently she showed off
> the $3 million in artwork they bought to fill three walls,
> all by Brazilian painters, including Ismael Nery and Flavio
> de Carvalho. The Brazilian landscaper Gilberto Elkis designed
> the home's sculpted gardens for a fee of $1 million.
> Mr. Cavalcanti recently bought a $15 million Hawker 900 plane
> with a longer range than his Learjet, enabling him to make
> nonstop trips to Europe and the United States.
> The son of Italian immigrants, Mr. Cavalcanti said he was
> building a home in the family's native Tuscany, which will
> become his 11th residence.

Low standards.