--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> > TurquoiseB wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" buttsplicer@ wrote:
>
> > > It might not appeal to you because you're in
> > > the industry, Stu, but there is this nifty piece
> > > of free software called Miro.
>
> Wow!  Very Cool. Now I will have something to occupy my
> coming free-time when the conglomerates won't be able to
> pay me to make TV shows.

While I understand and sympathize (especially
coming off of a long workless strike), my personal
sympathies lie with those who are busy trying to
find some way to no longer *work* for the conglom-
erates. Or at least no longer have to be dependent
on them.

I don't know how you feel about Joss Whedon's
recent "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" project,
but I find it really exciting and encouraging.
I watched it for free on the Web, I downloaded
it for $3.99 from iTunes, and I have pre-ordered
30 copies of the DVD, even though it has not been
released yet. I plan to give them away as Christmas
and birthday presents this year.

Ok, it's just a silly musical, but it was the
*heart* and the *intent* behind the project that
got me. Basically, Joss said, "If the conglomerates
won't let us play in their sandpile because they're
being greedy, we'll find another sandpile to play
in." And they did. Others will, too.

I do appreciate the rare movie and TV series that
manages to fight through all the crap and turns out
to be art. When I find one, I try to reward it in
the only way possible to me from over here in Spain,
which is to buy the DVD version when it comes out,
even though I already have all of the episodes in
downloaded form. I have done that with Deadwood,
with John From Cincinnati, with Charlie Jade, with
Dexter, with Lost and Battlestar Galactica, and I
will undoubtedly do it with Pushing Daisies.

But in buying these things I'm trying to reward
the *artists* involved, not the conglomerates who
are making the lion's share of the profits. They
are old and in the way in my opinion, and I for one
just can't wait until the artists themselves discover
new ways to make money without them, so I can pay
them directly instead of having to pay some company
that is going to skim 98% off the top.