Dude, you are preaching to the choir, I play an African gourd banjo in
my show.  It was an aspect of African American music BEFORE the blues.

If you want to read an actual scholar's work on the subject you can
read Dena Epstein's: Sinful Tunes and Spirituals,Black Folk Music to
the Civil War

Unless Wikipedia is all the depth on the topic you need.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>