> bob_brigante wrote:
> >
> > If you order products from MAPI in Colorado Springs, I'm sure
you're OK
> > -- they claim that they test all products imported from India both
> > before shipment and on arrival in the U.S.:
> >
> > http://mapi.com/en/qualitycontrol/index.html
> > <http://mapi.com/en/qualitycontrol/index.html>
> >
> > However, MAPI USA was negligent in not warning people about not
ordering
> > direct from MAPI companies in India, which apparently don't test
and
> > have the heavy metal problems, which is why MAPI USA was sued (by
> > longtime movement stalwart living in Vedic City) for "failure to
warn"
> > about these problems:
> >
> > http://www.religionnewsblog.com/20848/maharishi-ayurveda
> > <http://www.religionnewsblog.com/20848/maharishi-ayurveda>
> >
> > I almost ordered stuff from MAPI-INDIA via a banner ad that I
saw, and I
> > certainly would have pissed if I had bought this stuff -- I use
unleaded
> > in my car, and that's definitely my preference in food
supplements too.

> The big problem is that our increasingly moronic citizenry (partly
by
> too much fluoride and mercury in other things) will want to ban
ayurveda
> altogether.  Do you really expect them to understand that what is
being
> talked about is the preparations that contain metals? They
certainly
> can't ban preparations that contain just herbs like ginger,
cinnamon,
> cardomon, etc,  but don't underestimate the ability for big pharma
> manipulate the ignorance of the public.

************

Currently, Federal law is very favorable towards dietary supplements:

"While pharmaceutical companies are required to prove the safety or
effectiveness of their products, supplement manufacturers are not,
and the FDA can take action only after a dietary supplement has been
proven harmful." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_supplement

Yeah, there may be some blowback over this ayurveda/heavy metal
thing, but I don't think so. There are too few people interested in
AV for there to be widespread concern, I believe, and although people
do express an interest in greater regulation of dietary supplements,
lobbying efforts by the supplement industry have been very
successful, abetted by the wariness that most people have towards
Western organized medicine and big pharma.