> On Sep 1, 2008, at 10:29 AM, authfriend wrote:
>
> >> You know what has evened out the proximity effect on knowledge
> >> acquisition Richard?  The printing press.
> >
> > Well, not really. It took electronic communications
> > to do that in a big way.
> >
> > And even so, Willytex's point holds. One does tend
> > to know more about the important issues in one's
> > region, especially if one is an elected official
> > there, than folks who live elsewhere, simply because
> > they're of greater concern.
>
> Sure, Judy, and by that logic I'm a foreign affairs expert too,
> having spent my summers in Wisconsin, which borders Canada.
> And since you spend time in Vermont, that qualifies you as
> an expert on Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (and, if we really
> want to go wild here, we can throw in Greenland as well.)

Well, actually not, Sal, since neither of us is an
elected official in those areas, nor have we lived
there all our lives. Nor, of course, did I suggest
Palin was an "expert."

You might want to take a course in elementary logic
sometime, so you know what the word actually refers
to.

> Now, with experience like that, I agree, everyone's concerns
> about Palin's very thin record are all in their minds.

Who is it you think you're agreeing with on that point?
You seem to be addressing me, but since I've been quite
explicit that I think Palin is inexperienced and totally
unprepared to be president, perhaps you just miswrote.

Honest to Betsy, the *sloppiness* of the thinking of
many on this forum is just extraordinary--simplistic,
black-and-white, absolutist, utterly incapable of
dealing with nuance or ambiguity, and unwilling to do
anything but the most superficial research, if that.