I taught at MIU, as it then was. I do think there are advantages in
everyone doing the same meditation technique, especially for young
people who are just developing the habit of meditating every day. I'm
not sure that a "do whatever you want" approach, based on the belief
that all methods "are of equal value" is necessarily the best approach
to encouraging people to meditate. The all-TM environment helped to
ground many young people in an understanding of spirituality and
helped them to communicate with others about it on the basis of common
ground. If everyone was doing something different, just according to
their own feelings, I don't think it would have been as effective.

I don't agree with your characterization of MUM as a "cult" college.
MUM states its principles up front, very clearly. It has a specific
world view and it teaches everything in the light of that world view.
In the average college, that doesn't happen. It may take a long time
for students to figure out the underlying assumptions that guide the
teaching they receive (a very limited, secular, materialistic
understanding of the world, for example). Some students may just
passively absorb it without ever realizing what they are absorbing.