--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" rick@ wrote:
> >
> > Fascinating video about an ancient Greek analog computer which could
> predict
> > eclipses 1500 years ahead:
> >
> > Check it out.
> >
> > http://www.nature.com/nature/videoarchive/antikythera/
> >

>  That was very interesting.  It makes one wonder: what else did the
> Greeks know?  Where did they get the knowledge to make such a
mechanism?

> In astrology, the Greek and Hindu systems have some similarities.  For
> example, both systems use the same 12 signs of the zodiac.  And, the
> lords of these zodiac signs are the same.
>
> So, it appears that these two systems either came from a common
source,
> or that the two systems borrowed from each other at one point in the
> ancient past.

There is much historical evidence indicating trade routes would have
allowed for communication between these cultures.  Readings of
Pythagoras reveal much in common with the Jains which go back to near
600 B.C.   The practice of non-violence, vegetarianism, a fascination
with the mathematical harmonies inherent in the cosmos.  This is
academic mainstream stuff and comes up in most ancient Greek philosophy
courses.  A google search will reveal more if your interested.  The
Teaching Company has tapes detailing some of this.

I really enjoy reading about ancient Greece.  Here was a subculture (not
all Greeks agreed) practicing democracy, questioning myths and looking
towards science at a time when most peoples were bowing to paternalistic
magical super beings, clinging to tribal doctrines, and promoting war.

s.