> On Sep 7, 2008, at 9:51 AM, boo_lives wrote:
>
> > SPOKANE, Wash. - Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin
> > attended five colleges in six years before graduating from the
> > University of Idaho in 1987.
> >
> > Let's see, there's:
> > Hawaii Pacific University
> > North Idaho College
> > University of Idaho
> > Matanuska-Susitna College
> > University of Idaho
>
> I'm pretty sure I read she started out at the University of Hawaii,
> but left because there was too much rain.
>
> Sal

**********

Hilo is pretty wet, with 130 inches avg/yr, but I've been there when a
foot fell in a day, and more than two feet in a day has happened, so I'm
not surprised that she switched to HPU in HNL, which only gets about two
feet/yr.  I attended HPU, not exactly Harvard, but a competent school
with helpful profs, although they did require a lot more work than most
colleges, which could be why Sarah split.

Did GOP V.P. attend UH-Hilo?  by John Burnett
Tribune-Herald Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, September 6, 2008 7:51 AM HST New bio says yes, but
verification hard to find A number of national media outlets are
reporting that Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin began
her college education with a brief stint at the University of Hawaii at
Hilo. But what has apparently become legend is proving as difficult to
verify as Bigfoot sightings.

A newly-published biography titled "Sarah" by Kaylene Johnson states
that the Alaska governor -- then known as Sarah Louise Heath -- and
three other friends attended UH-Hilo in 1982 after graduation from
Wasilla High School in Alaska. According to the book, the young women
left Hilo after a few weeks because of the rain, which averages about
130 inches per year. That reportedly started Palin on an odyssey of six
colleges in six years, including a semester at Hawaii Pacific College,
which is now Hawaii Pacific University. Palin graduated from the
University of Idaho in 1987 with a journalism degree.

While school officials have no record that Palin ever enrolled at UHH,
they concede it is a possibility.

<http://adsys.townnews.com/c85009476/creative/hawaiitribune-herald.com/+\
square/133990-1217637634.gif?r=http://www.windwarddesigns.biz/kscdeals.h\
tml> "Our registrar doesn't have any records of her at UH-Hilo," said
Alyson Kakugawa-Leong, UHH director of media relations. "If she stayed
for only three weeks, we won't have any records.

"We had 31 (information requests from media outlets) ... including
People Magazine, wanting to confirm."

Retired UHH registrar Patrick Omori confirmed that students who stayed
three weeks or less were expunged from school records.

"You needed to be in classes for three weeks before withdrawing. If they
withdrew prior to those three weeks, we wipe out the record," he said.

Phone calls to Palin's Juneau office and her national campaign
headquarters also failed to confirm her presence at UHH. Several calls
to Palin's parents' home in Wasilla went unanswered.

A number of faculty and staff who were at UHH in 1982 were contacted,
but none recalled a Sarah Heath.

"There was a good number of students from Alaska because of reciprocal
(in-state) tuition," said Rick Castberg, a professor of political
science.

Marlene Hapai, a University of Hawaii regent and professor emeritus of
biology at UHH, and her husband, Archie, were Hawaii delegates at the
GOP National Convention in St. Paul where Palin officially became No. 2
on the party's ticket. She said she didn't know about a possible
Palin-UHH connection.

"I started at UH-Hilo in 1982. So if she was there the first three
weeks, those would have been my first three weeks there, too," Hapai
told the Tribune-Herald from Minnesota.

"I do know that we have had a lot of Alaska students, and most of them
very much liked UH-Hilo. They got along really well.

"But I do know other students, that the rain and other things caused
them to leave. So not everybody fits."

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2008/09/06/local_news/local\
04.txt