[snip]

> Actually, the only personal view she's shown the
> slightest inclination of forcing on the populace--
> at least that I've heard about--concerns abortion.
> And guess what? That is *not* necessarily a
> religious view.
>
> On the other hand, if you are absolutely convinced
> that abortion is murder, based on religious belief
> or not, *of course* you're going to try to get it
> banned, just as those of us who believe capital
> punishment is murder are trying to get *it* banned.

[snip]

...and I would presume that, even then, her position on abortion
would be to overturn Roe v. Wade.

But what overturning Roe v. Wade would do is simply turn it over to
the individual 50 states to decide, which is where many experts feel
it should have been left in the first place.  Before the case was
handed down by the Supreme Court in 1973 there were numerous states
that allowed abortions.

Interestingly, if memory serves me correctly, liberal New York State
wasn't one of them; New York had had a pro-choice law but the state
legislature overturned it at some point before Roe v. Wade was handed
down.

But I think that the whole emphasis on questioning candidates for
president and VP stand on this issue and who they would therefore
appoint to the Supreme Court is way overblown in terms of importance.

Why?

Because since Roe v Wade became law in 1973, 22 of those 35 years has
seen a pro-life Republican president in office; of the 12 years held
by Democrats, four of those years were administered by Jimmy Carter
who is more pro-life than any of those Republicans.  So 26 of the 35
years since Roe v. Wade were overseen by pro-life, anti-abortion
presidents.

7 of the 9 current sitting Justices on the Supremme Court were
appointed by those pro-life, anti-abortion Republican presidents.

Yet in the 35 years since Roe V. Wade, of the 45 million abortions
that has occured in the United States not one of those babies has
been denied the pleasure of being sucked out of its mother's
womb...DESPITE who was president.

As George Will once observed: the president is not as powerful as
people think he is...