--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "yifuxero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> -No support groups needed!.  For adults, just get out of the cult.
> Children are a different matter; e.g. the Warren Jeffs Mormon group
> and the like.

yifuxero,

Actually, I agree -- for most people. Most people who were in a cult or other
high-
demand, high-intensity group leave on their own and have happy, productive,
comfortable
lives without seeking professional help.

Some do some self-help through readings on the web or cult-recovery books.

But a significant minority have serious challenges -- in relationships,
career/education,
finances, depression or other mental health concern, or a host of other
problems. These
people frequently turn to either professional individual or group therapy.

The deciding factors seem to be a combination of personality, as well as
intensity and
length of cult involvement.

You might be interested to see symptoms that many people experience --
sometimes for
years after leaving a cult: http://KnappFamilyCounseling.com/cultsymptoms.html .

You are also right that adult children of cult members (ACOCMs) brought up in a
cult have
special challenges. I intend to set up a special support group just for them.
If you are
interested, please feel free to write me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

Thanks for bringing the point up!

John M. Knapp, LMSW