> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > --- sparaig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer

> > > "On the inward stroke, these are obstacles to
> > > samadhi; On the outward stroke, they are perfections."
> > >
> > > My own belief is that full attainment of CC may be
> > > slowed down by practice of the Siddhis, but that they
> > > also culture Unity...
> >
> > People have lots of thoughts
>
> People have lots of recollections too.  One of
> mine is that what Sparaig just said about the
> TM-Sidhis culturing Unity comes directly from
> Maharishi.  My understanding is that this is
> their purpose, according to MMY.
>
> As to whether TM-Sidhis practice slows down
> attainment of CC, that may be a nonissue if
> the sutra translation Sparaig provides above
> is correct, given how the sutras are supposed
> to be used.

FWIW, the antecedent of the demonstrative pronoun 'te'
in 'te samaadhaav upasargaa...' seems to be the
"finest" senses in the previous suutra. Vyaasa's bhaaSya
on the suutra in question begins like this:

te praatibhaadayaH samaahita-cittasyotpadyamaanaa(H)...
(something like: praatibhaa, etc. tend to activate[?] citta in
samaadhi)

The expression 'praatibhaadayaH' (praatibha + aadayaH)
seems to refer *only* to the siddhis mentioned in the
previous suutra

tataH praatibha-shraavaNa...(thence are produced intuitional
hearing...)

Note, that the expression 'praatibhaadayaH'*) literally means
something like 'praatibha-beginning(s)', which seems to
be a bahuvriihi compound that refers to an enumeration that
begins with the word "praatibha". Thus it would seem unlikely
that it referred to all the siddhis, because 'praatibha' is
certainly not the first siddhi mentioned in the third book.

*) 'aadayaH' is nominative plural of the word 'aadi',
as in 'aadi-shaMkara'