--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" wrote:
> >

> > Moral of the story: pre-vitamins are not
> > drugs. If they had taken the supplements
> > along with a bit of naturally occurring
>  beta-carotene as found in fruits or carrots
> > or whatever, I wonder what would have happened?
> > Its entirely possible that the
> > body can't process the substance properly as
> > a pure chemical and needs other
> > chemicals for it to be beneficial.

Beta carotene is fat soluble, and the needed "other chemical" is fat.
However, current dietary dogmas are low-fat and wrong-fat, with
emphasis on avoiding saturated fat and favoring inflammatory, highly
peroxidizable polyunsaturated fat.

> This is my problem with most research on
> natural healthcare. The studies are poorly
> designed. I recall research on echinacea
> some years back which concluded that echinacea
> was ineffective in treating or preventing colds.
> But it turns out there are three varieties of
> echinacea, and the researchers chose the one
> strain that the natural healing community
> already knows is ineffective.

Another tactic used by researchers to discredit natural supplements is
to test with small amounts that are insufficient to have any effect.
The mainstream media then issues a screaming headline, "Study Finds
Supplement X is Ineffective", and the dumbed-down public accepts it
without question.