--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Excuse me, I should elaborate.
>
> As I read it, Peter was saying that Maharishi
> dissed Jimmy Carter not because Jimmy Carter
> was inherently inferior, but because Maharishi
> is caste-conscious. Maharishi may have felt
> that Carter was not qualified to be president -
> lots of people agree - but it's also true that
> caste- and class-conscious people tend to get
> their shorts in knots when people further down
> the social ladder gain power.

Maharishis comment was not about class or caste. Rather he was
astonished that the americans would elect for president a fellow that
had nothing more to show for himself than being a grower of peanuts,
a not very healthy produce.

That Carter was/is a fundamentalist christian did ofcourse also not
elevate his standing.