--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Chadwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "In this new edition (2007) of his acclaimed autobiography — long
out of print and rare until now — Alan Watts tracks his spiritual
and philosophical evolution from a child of religious conservatives in
rural England to a freewheeling spiritual teacher who challenged
Westerners to defy convention and think for themselves. From early in
this intellectual life, Watts shows himself to be a philosophical
renegade and wide-ranging autodidact who came to Buddhism through the
teachings of Christmas Humphreys and D. T. Suzuki. Told in a nonlinear
style, In My Own Way wonderfully combines Watts' own brand of
unconventional philosophy and often hilarious accounts of gurus,
celebrities,

psychedelic drug experiences,

*********

Back in 1967, I got an invite to a party at Alan Watt's house. I didn't
go, but my friends told me he had a huge bowl of filter-tipped marijuana
cigarettes, which I thought was unusually  bobo
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobos_in_Paradise>  .

and wry observations of Western culture. A charming foreword written by
Watts' father sets the tone of this warm, funny, and beautifully
written story of a compelling figure who encouraged readers to 'follow
your own weird' — something he
> always did himself, as his remarkable account of his life shows."
--Amazon

not mention Alan Watts is beyond me:  beginning in 1951 he was the only
person in SF making a living at the academic teaching of Buddhism, first
as a professor, then later as the academic dean, of what was at the time
called the American Academy Asian Studies.  Certainly everyone mentioned
in the article would have deferred to Watts in any intellectual
discussion of Buddhism, including "little" Suzukihttp://en.wikipedia
.org/wiki/ Suzuki_Roshi.  And oh yeah, in 1957 Watts had published The
Way of Zen, which now more than fifty years later remains the best
introduction to Zen in a western language.

> While Watts had a reputation as a writer and speaker/teacher, did he
speak from realization? If not, maybe that's why. I never had much
interest in him, although I know the older generation had some enamoured
with his writings. I always imagined a stodgy old Brit from what little
I'd read and thereby lost interest.

> Or perhaps the article was meant to emphasize those the author had
some personal or indirect relationship to. I don't really know.