Not long ago there was a short discussion here on the
magnificent Keith Jarrett.  For those who indicated
at the time that they knew who he was, and knew his
music, I cannot recommend the new solo album "Radiance"
strongly enough.

It has so many moments of pure, ecstatic creative flow
that it has not left my CD player since I bought it.
Tracks 15 and 17 are among the best improvizations he
has ever done, which, considering the artist, is
really saying something.

To be that open to the Tao, to be that trusting, to
just walk out onto a stage and sit down and be open
to the absolute expressing itself through you, as
music, however it chooses to express itself tonight,
is one of the highest callings I can imagine.  It is
spiritual teaching, without the need for words.

>From the liner notes:

"Months before I went to Japan, I had the idea that,
since my career had had a lot to do with transforming
energy into something new each time, this time I
wanted the transformation to include the actual
format itself.  Most listeners of my past solo concerts
will be momentarily (at least) shocked at the initial
absence of melodic -- or even motivic -- content, the
material seemingly un-motivated by any concept at all.
This was not an accident (or it was a planned one).  I
didn't want any premature resolutions.  How we arrive
at profound thoughts has a lot to do with what we
*aren't* thinking beforehand, and I had in mind letting
some of the music *happen* to me without sitting there
deep in thought.  I wanted my hands (especially the
left hand) to tell me things.  This is part of the
process I wished to experiment with.  Transformative
moments are very rare, or they seem so due to our
inattention.  It takes so many processes to coincide
*just so* for us to arrive at a transformative moment
(if we're watching).  But maybe this is wrong, and they
happen constantly, though *we* are absent.  The listener
has to bear with me here.  The whole thing is risky,
but I've taken you places before and I'm not aiming
to disappoint."

He doesn't.  Every note is improvised.  It's a lesson
in trust -- in oneself, in the universe, and in the
essentially harmonic nature of that universe -- that
has to be experienced to be believed.

Unc