--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I knew it was bad wording, but it was late, and I just had no
> idea how else to describe my feeling better. By many suicide is
> seen as a sin, or some kind bad karmic action. I just wanted to
> express that we, the people I knew didn't have these feelings
> about him.

Well explained.  Thanks.  I really didn't mean to
be blasting you personally; it's just that the
whole situation is so unbelievably *sad*, and for
me has such sad implications for the mindset of
the organization in which it happened, that I
was somewhat shocked by the almost normal, every-
day manner in which you described the situation.
I realize now that it was simply an issue of
language.  I'd probably unwittingly do the same
thing if I tried to express myself in my as-yet-
far-from-perfect French.

I *know* that it wasn't your intention.  It just
pushed some of the same buttons in me that got
pushed when I worked at National and would hear
people talking about the latest person who'd
committed suicide while on a TM course.  The
concern was always how to downplay the story
and make it go away.  The very possibility that
these suicides (and there were quite a few more
of them than you might imagine) might have some-
thing to do with "the program" itself was never
addressed.  That was simply unthinkable.  "TM is
100% life-supporting."  There couldn't possibly
BE a connection.

For me, as I suggested in a followup post, the
issue is about myth.  The myth of the "ideal
society" brought about by TM was for these people
far more important than the reality of the every-
day society of TMers they lived in.  If there was
a conflict between the myth and the reality, it
was always assumed that something was wrong with
one's perception of the reality, because the
myth couldn't possibly be wrong.

Weird, now that I look back on it.  But at the
time, I occasionally felt the same way, so I can
try to be compassionate when dealing with others
who still think this way, because I thought that
way once, too.

The shadows one encounters on a pathway to light,
eh man?

Unc