Rick Archer wrote:

>on 6/21/05 11:06 AM, Bhairitu at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>I'm curious because in the early 1960's Maharishi was not allegedly
>>using the set of mantras used now for first level TM.   The "alleged"
>>mantras were "Ram" and "Shree Ram" and would probably be considered
>>Shiva mantras and also more traditional for yogic meditation.    If that
>>is what you were doing long meditations with they may not have caused as
>>much problem as the ones used now.
>>
>>The bijas used now are mostly shakti mantras or "agni" mantras and
>>considered "hot."  My theory from an ayurvedic perspective is that they
>>can be tolerated better by Indians than by westerners because Indians
>>mostly have kapha primary constitutions (balances with hot and dry
>>weather) whereas westerners mostly have pitta primary constitutions as
>>our ancestors with that constitution were able to survive cold harsh
>>winters.  Since we are already by nature "hot" the shakti bijas add more
>>heat.  The short periods that MMY prescribes for TM usually won't make
>>that a problem.
>>

>Do you think Maharishi was aware of this theory? He had thousands of people
>rounding for hours a day, months on end.

Sure, I think he was aware of this as it seems to be rather common
knowledge in mantra shastra.  That is probably why he uses *rounds* as
opposed to long meditations which are more traditional.  I also believe
he switched to beej aksharas for the 1st technique as they provided
short *dips* into the transcendent rather than longterm swims or dives
that longer more traditional mantras might provide.

And it is not that rounding does not come with problems.  There were
numerous people who had roughness doing rounds on the courses.