On Oct 26, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Richard Williams wrote:

Vaj wrote:
> If you have an Apple TV and/or are streaming audio to
> your stereo...

You wouldn't seriously stream MP3 music files to your
home stereo, would you?

I already do, using a tiny little device called an Airport Express. Actually I prefer 256 kHz AAC's or Apple Lossless, which are indistinguishable from lossless.

What Alex needs is a control
center like the Yamaha - that way, he could listen to real
stereo, if not Dolby 7.1, from his TV tuner and real stereo
music files from a Yamaha CD player. MP3 files are low-fi,
they sound terrible to the discerning ear when played on
a home system. I use only genuine Yamaha separate
components - my Yamaha basic amp puts out 250 watts
of natural sound per channel into stacked Bose 401s. Now
that's the ticket - forget the TV set and the remote control.
All you have to do is get up off your ass and put another
record on the turntable. If you use a nice Grado stylus, then
you can listen to some real stereo, the way it was meant
to be heard.

Yamaha RX-Z7 7.1-channel Network AV Receiver:

http://www.yamaha.com/

It all depends on how much you wanna spend. As computers get more integrated as digital hubs, you no longer need loads of stuff to pull off a great system, as long as you have an amp that can use the latest conventions. Even a nice Sony amp will do ya and pretty cheap.

(musician but not a sound snob)