<snip>
> From the little exposure I've had to PCs, they
> range from disasters, to mega-disasters.  I've
> heard enough horror stories about Windows 95 to
> fill a book

Win95 was a *long* time ago. You don't hear many
such stories about WinXP, although a lot of folks
don't like Vista much (others love it).

, and I've had salespeople in stores
> that don't even sell Macs, tell me if I'm used
> to them, to forget about PCs, that they're nowhere
> as easy or user-friendly.

If you're used to a PC, a Mac is nowhere as easy
or user-friendly.

  And as far as art goes,
> from what I've heard, there's just no comparison.
>
> And, as if all that isn't enough, I've heard it's a good idea
> to wipe the HD clean every few months or so on
> account of all the junk that accumulates.

Good *grief*. Who told you that??

Win98 used to begin to get clogged up after a
year or so and benefited from a reinstall,
although you could extend that time by cleaning
the Registry, deleting TMP files, and defragging
on a regular basis.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with XP. And
"wiping the HD clean every few months"? Sheesh!