TurquoiseB wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Unc.... Sounds like a great gig, being there and enjoying
> > happenings like the one you describe. Do you speak French? If
> > not, how is it living there w/o it? In the last several years I
> > have found myself attracted to France but have never been, and
> > don't speak the language.
>
> Well, I have to admit to having been somewhat lazy with
> the development of my French.  I work for a French company,
> but one in the computer industry (which runs on English)
> and in which everyone speaks English, and in which all of
> the documentation and training materials and programs I
> write are done in English.  So there has been (fortunately
> for me in terms of finding work, unfortunately for me in
> terms of learning French) not the "immersion factor" at
> work that would have improved my French drastically.

<snip>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Unc

Sounds like you are lucky in a way... able to make a living and enjoy
Paris w/o being too terribly troubled by the lack of French skill...
though it seems you have quite a lot of it down. I have subscribed to an
e-letter for a couple of years  from <http://www.parlerparis.com> and
learned a bit from them (and from
<http://www.internationalliving.com/>). The letter that came today
described the author's grand time enjoying La fête de la musique. I have
faint dreams of retiring in the south of France where, I understand,
real estate is still somewhat reasonable... at least more reasonable
than one would think.

Thanks for the feedback.....