When Daniel Everett first went to live with the Amazonian Pirahã tribe
in the late 70s, his intention was to convert them to Christianity.
Instead, he learned to speak their unique language - and ended up
rejecting his faith, losing his family and picking a fight with Noam
Chomsky.

The Guardian, By Patrick Barkham, November 10

Excerpts:

Daniel Everett looks and talks very much like the middle-aged American
academic he is - until he drops a strange word into the conversation.
An exceptionally melodic noise tumbles from his mouth. It doesn't
sound like speaking at all. Apart from his ex-wife and two ageing
missionaries, Everett is the only person in the world beyond the
sweeping banks of the Maici river in the Amazon basin who can speak
Pirahã.  [...]

~~Thirty years of living with the Pirahã has taught Everett that they
exist almost completely in the present. Absorbed by the daily struggle
to survive, they do not plan ahead, store food, build houses or canoes
to last, maintain tools or talk of things beyond those that they, or
people they know, have experienced. They are the "ultimate
empiricists", he argues, and this culture of living in the present has
shaped their language. [...]

"It's wrong to try and convert tribal societies," he says. "What
should the empirical evidence for religion be? It should produce
peaceful, strong, secure people who are right with God and right with
the world. I don't see that evidence very often. So then I find myself
with the Pirahã. They have all these qualities that I am trying to
tell them they could have. They are the ones who are living life the
way I'm saying it ought to be lived, they just don't fear heaven and
hell."  [...]

Everett, however, is pessimistic about their future. Missionaries and
government officials see Pirahã society as poor and seek to help by
giving them money and modern technology. "The Pirahã aren't poor. They
don't see themselves as poor," he says.

He believes capitalism and religion are manufacturing desires.

"One of the saddest things I've seen in Amazonian cultures is people
who were self-sufficient and happy that now think of themselves as
poor and become dissatisfied with their lives. What worries me is
outsiders trying to impose their values and materialism on the
Pirahã."  [...]

He hopes to return next summer to help a BBC/HBO documentary and
continue his research, but only on the condition that the visitors do
not disrupt the Pirahã. What does he miss the most? "I miss the
evenings. After I've gone down to the river to have a bath, I would
make coffee for everyone in the village. We'd sit around on logs out
in the open and wait until the night fell, and talk. They are just an
incredibly peaceful, sweet people to be with. The time spent talking
to them, these will always be the best memories I have".

~~~ Full article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/10/daniel-everett-amazon