wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > > --- sparaig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > snip

> Of course, that is not what the SC ruled. It upheld 100 years of
> precedent where eminent domain is used for "public purpose" -- in
this
> case a redevelopment project to revitalize the econonomy of the
town
> /area.

the distinction being in this case that the redevelopment project is
not in a blighted area, which had been part of the previous standard
for eminent domain seizures.

The latest ruling by the SC sets a precedent for any city to go
after anyone's private property on the pretext that it is in the
public interest to do so.

For those in favor of this particular twist on the Constitution,
I'll chip in a dime for the packing boxes for them when they get
kicked out of their homes.

Interestingly, when I went to www.loudobbs.com (part of CNN) to vote
online on this issue, 1% had voted for it and 99% against it,
roughly the same ratios of who would benefit vs suffer from such
legislation.