--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gullible fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*******

>From the article:

"Of course, the cost of benefits for those retirees--you may have
heard people refer to them as "legacy costs"--do represent an extra
cost burden that only the Big Three shoulder. And, yes, it makes it
difficult for the Big Three to compete with foreign-owned automakers
that don't have to pay the same costs. But don't forget why those
costs are so high. While the transplants don't offer the same kind of
benefits that the Big Three do, the main reason for their present
cost advantage is that they just don't have many retirees.

The first foreign-owned plants didn't start up here until the 1980s;
many of the existing ones came well after that. As of a year ago,
Toyota's entire U.S. operation had less than 1,000 retirees. Compare
that to a company like General Motors, which has been around for more
than a century and which supports literally hundreds of thousands of
former workers and spouses. As you might expect, many of these have
the sorts of advanced medical problems you expect from people to
develop in old age. And, it should go without saying, those
conditions cost a ton of money to treat."

*

The trouble with this analysis is that it does not mention foreign
auto plants manufacturing in their own countries or in countries
other than the U.S., and I don't see what sense it makes to merely
point out that Toyota et al plants operating in the U.S. have fewer
retirees, and that's why their labor costs are lower.

What we need to know to know to determine whether Detroit costs are
competitive in the worldwide auto market is whether Toyota or
Mercedes etc employees working in their own countries or in countries
other than the U.S. have wages/benefits that near what Detroit pays
for labor.

If cars can be made in Korea or in Vietnam or in Mexico for
substantially less than they can be made for in Detroit, then
obviously U.S. wages/benefits have to be adjusted or the industry is
eventually doomed (and now that I think about it, my uncle's Cadillac
was made in Mexico).