--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hebephrenia is more extreme than this quote. You can
> feel an attempt to explain in his speech. It is
> confused because he doesn't really understand what he
> is attempting to explain.

Actually, I think he *does* understand what
he's attempting to explain...

> He has an "intuitive" grasp
> of it, but it is not yet integrated enough with his
> speech.

...but his understanding is as integrated
with his speech as it's ever going to get.

Part of the problem is his inability to
put words together coherently, especially
when he's talking about something complex
(he does poorly enough even when he's talking
about something simple).

The other part of the problem here is that he's
talking *to* somebody who he assumes doesn't
have a clue and wouldn't understand anything
but a simplistic explanation anyway--and it
ends up as utter mush.  You have to be able to
put words together *well* before you can give
a clear simplistic explanation.

<snip>

FWIW, the last line above has a mistranscription;
it should be "as opposed to," not "supposed to."
He uses "as opposed to" in the previous sentence
in the same context; first he explains how benefits
are calculated now, then he describes the proposed
change in how benefits are calculated, using the
same phrasing.