Turq:> I think the most you can say is that "There is no
> evidence that past lives exist, and no evidence that
> they do not. It's as much a mystery to science as
> it is to each and every one of us. None of us know
> for sure what happens subjectively when you die,
> and neither does science."
>
> Isn't that a more fair and realistic statement than
> "There is too much evidence that past lives don't
> exist?"

This thread continues to kick ass!  This is a very interesting point.

I don't think that pointing out that a person's assertion lacks good
evidence is a belief on the same order as the person's belief being
asserted.  The burden of proof is on the person asserting the belief.
 So Stu's confidence that there is a lack of good evidence may be
justified IMO and does not mean that he is supporting a dogmatic
belief.  I do prefer your formulation of there being a lack of
evidence to claiming that there is plenty evidence of lack in this
case however.  I also prefer this way of expressing my own lack of
believe in any of the God ideas as being more than ideas of man.
Despite the fact that nobody does really know know what happens after
death, we can be confident that there is a lack of good evidence for
the specific belief in reincarnation.

But as humans we do end up betting on the probability of our beliefs
so none of us are exactly impassive observers of our POV, we are
advocates usually.

Every belief is not equally valid just because we can't prove it wrong
without taking a dirt bath.  We might find alternate explanations for
beliefs that are more satisfying.  Once we learn how generative our
minds can be in unconsciously creating detailed experiences, we should
lose absolute conviction in them being real at face value.  You
expressed this appropriate lack of certainty when you brought in the
idea that there was some outside corroboration of your inner
experiences in predicting what was in a room you had not been in.
Since I was not there, I don't know how much confidence I can put in
that as a test.  But it illustrates that these experiences can be
tested to some degree.

Before we could study chemical imbalances in the brain, mankind
attributed mental illness to supernatural forces.  Now that we can
correct some of these imbalances does it prove that there are still no
demons at work?  Not really.  But the usefulness of that explanation
drops off.

And despite the fact that the Judy-Stu aspect of this discussion has
broken down a bit, everyone is adding really interesting points in
this thread.  This goes to the heart of what we know and how we can be
confident about it.